The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources came into being in January 2005, following the promulgation of the revised University statutes in December 2004. It emerged from the former Faculty of Agriculture, the Institute of Renewable Natural Resources and the School of Forestry, Sunyani.
The College is mandated to train and equip graduates with the requisite academic and entrepreneurial skills in the areas of agricultural production and natural resource management for sustainable national development, in addition to carrying out research and extension services in these areas.
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources is one of the six Colleges of the University, with a mandate to train, research and disseminate knowledge in sustainable agriculture, renewable natural resources management and rural development.
Located at the west end of the University campus, CANR houses three Faculties - Faculty of Agriculture which was originally established in 1953 as a Department of Agriculture; Faculty of Renewable Natural Resources formally Institute of Renewable Natural Resources; and Faculty of Forest Resources Technology. In addition to the Faculties, CANR has five (5) Research Centres: Bureau of Integrated Rural Development (BIRD); Centre for Biodiversity Utilization and Development (CBUD), International Centre for Innovative Learning (ICIL) ; Dairy/Beef cattle Research Station, at Boadi; and Agriculture Research Station at Anwomaso.
With a total of 13 academic departments, the College has a student population of approximately 2000, 40 percent of which are females. With academic staff strength of about 90, and 130 supporting staff, the College is well positioned to carry out its mission.